Hepscott first appeared in documents in the thirteenth century. The oldest building in the village is Hepscott Hall (right), a grade 2 listed building.
This medieval building was extended and altered in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.
Another listed building is the Smithy which operated as a blacksmith’s shop for over two hundred years.
The two main roads through the parish were turnpikes. The A192 was the Shields Turnpike running between Morpeth and North Shields. The A196 ran from Morpeth to Newbiggin. The toll house for both these roads was near Turner Square and a milepost still remains.
The area was originally a hunting park, then agricultural with mixed farming and market gardens until the nineteenth century. In the twentieth century several coal mines operated in the parish producing good quality steam coal, clay for bricks or tiles and drinking water piped to the growing Tyneside communities. Mining stopped completely during the 1970s but houses built to accommodate miners remain within the village, Barmoor and Coalburn.
Associated with these collieries were waggonways and railways and in 1857 the Blyth and Tyne line was extended through Hepscott. The station was built and remained open to passenger traffic until 1950. It remains as a mineral line although the station master’s house and the waiting room/ticket office (long since converted into a house) are all that remain of the station.
At the end of the nineteenth century, much of the land in the parish was sold in an auction of the Earl of Carlisle estates. Wealthy business men from Newcastle bought plots and built fine Victorian homes and used the railway to commute. Hepscott was for many years an excursion destination with visitors from Newcastle and Tynemouth arriving by train. It was also the destination of hundreds of Sunday school trips with young children travelling on horse drawn carts from the mining villages to the east. Here they enjoyed a day in the country with a picnic, swings and races.
More Recent Developments
Further development in the village took place in the 1950s when twelve “Council Houses” were built by Morpeth Rural District Council to house agricultural workers. Since 1964 there have been four “developments” added to the village, Crofts Park, Fieldhouse Close, Thornlea and The Orchard.
The latest developments have been at Stobhill Manor and Turner Square. (below left and right).